Share your story for a chance to become an AT&T Black Future Maker.
Inspiring. Visionary. Culture Shaper. These are the qualities of a Black Future Maker. Dedicated individuals pursuing greater possibilities for the greater good. If this sounds like you, then AT&T wants to celebrate your journey.
AT&T Black Future Maker Contest
Presented by AT&T
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN A PRIZE. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. PLEASE READ THESE RULES CAREFULLY. AS EXPLAINED BELOW, THE RULES REQUIRE THAT DISPUTES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THIS CONTEST BE RESOLVED IN ARBITRATION ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS, RATHER THAN BY CLASS ACTIONS OR JURY TRIALS, AND LIMIT YOUR RIGHTS AND REMEDIES IN THE EVENT OF A DISPUTE.
1. CONTEST DESCRIPTION: The AT&T Black Future Maker Contest (the “Contest”) begins on or about Wednesday, January 18, 2023 at 12:00:01am Eastern Time (“ET”) and ends on Tuesday, February 28, 2023 at 11:59:59 pm ET (“Contest Period”). The Contest offers individuals the opportunity to complete an entry form and provide written responses to three (3) Contest-related questions (each an “Essay” and collectively the “Essays”). The Sponsor of this Contest is AT&T Mobility LLC (“Sponsor”). The Administrator of this Contest is Creative Zing Promotion Group (“Administrator”). The Sponsor and Administrator shall collectively be referred to as the Contest Entities.
2. ELIGIBILITY: Entrant must be a legal U.S. resident physically residing in the fifty (50) United States, the District of Columbia or Puerto Rico who is at least eighteen (18) years of age and the age of majority in their state of primary residence (19 in Alabama and Nebraska, and 21 in Mississippi). Employees of Sponsor, Administrator, Sponsor’s advertising agencies, fulfillment agencies and service providers directly associated with the management and execution of the Contest (collectively, the “Contest Entities”), together with the immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of such Contest Entities (collectively, “Household Members”), cannot serve as an Entrant. For purposes of the Contest, "Household Members" shall mean those people who share the same residence at least three months a year; "Immediate Family Members" shall mean parents, step-parents, legal guardians, children, step-children, siblings, step-siblings, or spouses. Contest is void where restricted or prohibited by law.
3. HOW TO ENTER: Entrants must visit www.att.com/blackfuturemakers (the “Website”) during the Contest Period and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the entry form and Essays. LIMIT ONE (1) ENTRY PER PERSON.
The Essays must meet the following Essay Requirements:
• Essays must be Entrant’s own wholly original, previously unpublished work;
• Essays must honestly and accurately represent the Entrant’s achievements, accomplishments and beliefs;
• Essays must be written in English;
• Essays must provide relevant responses to the available questions;
• Essays must comply with the character counts as outlined on the Website;
• Essays must not have won any other prize or award, must not have been previously published, and must not have been submitted in any other contest or promotion;
• Essays must not include subject matter which is, or could be considered, in the sole discretion of Contest Entities, obscene, pornographic, violent, defamatory, libelous, discriminatory, illegal, offensive, threatening, profane, hateful, degrading, harassing, or otherwise unlawful or is otherwise considered objectionable by the Contest Entities;
• Essays must not include material that infringes or violates any applicable laws or regulations or any right of a third party including (1) patent, trade secret or other proprietary or contractual rights; (2) right of privacy or publicity; or (3) any confidentiality obligation; and
• Essays must not include any derogatory references to the Contest Entities or any of their affiliates or any of their products or services.
Note: Contest Entities reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to disqualify any Entrant if their Essay violates the Essay Requirements, or potentially infringes or otherwise violates a third party's rights or if the Essay is deemed to be lacking in taste, quality, or is otherwise objectionable.
Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant that it deems, in its sole discretion, to be a violation of the Official Rules or that is not in keeping with Sponsor’s image or which communicate messages inconsistent with the positive images and/or goodwill to which Sponsor wishes to associate. False or deceptive Entrants/Essays will be void and may render an Entrant ineligible, and also may result in the Entrant no longer being allowed to enter Sponsor's sweepstakes, contests or other promotions in the future, at Sponsor's sole discretion. All Essays become the property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. Entrants must provide all the required information requested. Incomplete, unreadable or unintelligible entry forms or Essays will be disqualified. Participation in the Contest constitutes Entrant’s understanding of full and unconditional agreement to, and acceptance of these Official Rules. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant that Sponsor determines to be in violation of any term contained in these Official Rules. Sponsor's decision not to enforce a specific provision of these Official Rules does not constitute a waiver of that provision or of the Official Rules generally. Further, entering the Contest, the Sponsor has the right to use the Essay or a portion of the Essay for any other promotional purposes as related to the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to edit the Essay (or request the Entrant edit) to clear such Essay for public display.
IMPORTANT – GRANT OF RIGHTS: The cleared winning Essays may appear on the Sponsor’s website. If Entrant does not want their Essays to be used in the manner set forth herein, they should not enter the Contest. By entering the Contest, Entrants grant Sponsor the non-exclusive, royalty-free, and irrevocable rights to use, reproduce, copy, publish, display, distribute, perform, translate, adapt, modify, and otherwise exploit the cleared winning Essays and to incorporate the cleared winning Essays in other works in any and all markets and media worldwide, now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity. Entrants warrant that they have the sole and exclusive right to grant such rights to Sponsor and that the Sponsor's reproduction, publishing, displaying, and/or other use of the Essay will not infringe on any rights of third parties. Sponsor is not obligated to use any of the above-mentioned information or materials but may do so and may edit such information or materials, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, without further obligation or compensation.
4. CONTEST JUDGING: Throughout and immediately following the Contest Period, eligible Essays will be reviewed and evaluated by representatives of the Contest Entities in accordance with the following weighted criteria (“Judging Criteria”):
• Commitment to pushing the culture forward and uplifting the Black Community: 50%
• Potential to Inspire: 25%
• Persuasiveness/Writing Quality: 25%
The four (4) Essays with the highest total score among all Judging Criteria will be deemed the potential winning Essays, subject to verification of Entrant eligibility and compliance with these Official Rules. In the event of a tie, the tied Essays will be re-evaluated by the Contest Entities in accordance with the aforementioned criteria, and the Essay with the highest overall rating after reevaluation will be deemed a potential winner. Judges’ decisions are final and binding. Final judging scores will not be revealed or publicly announced. Sponsor reserves the right to adjust or extend the Contest Period and to select fewer than the stated number of winning Essays if, in its sole discretion, it does not receive a sufficient number of eligible and qualified Essays.
5. NOTIFICATION: On or about March 10, 2023, each potential winner (as determined by the judging results) will be contacted via the email address provided on the entry form. Each potential winner will be required to respond (as directed by the Administrator) to the notification within forty-eight (48) hours (or a shorter time if required by exigencies) of first attempted notification. Each potential winner will be required to complete, sign and return any documentation which may be required by Sponsor, including, but not limited to, an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability Release and unless prohibited by law, a publicity release (the “Contest Documents”). If any potential winner fails to sign and return the aforementioned required documents or provide any other requested information within the required time period, such potential winner may forfeit the opportunity and prize and an alternate potential winner will be selected based on the judging results. The Contest Entities will attempt to contact up to three (3) potential winners for each prize in accordance with the above procedure, after which the prize in question may go unawarded if it remains unclaimed.
Each potential winner will be required to provide their Social Security number and consent to a background check. Such background check may include (but is not limited to) investigation of criminal, arrest or conviction records, a history restraining orders or stalking, and any other factor deemed relevant by the Sponsor to help ensure that any potential winner will not bring Sponsor into public disrepute, risk, contempt, scandal, or ridicule or reflect unfavorably on the Sponsor. If requested, the potential winner agrees to sign forms authorizing the release of personal and background information. Pending the results of the background check, the Contest Entities, in their sole discretion, reserve the right to confirm a potential winner as a confirmed winner (a “Winner”) or to disqualify the potential winner and select an alternate based on the judging results, in their sole discretion. In addition to the background check, each Winner’s social security number will be used for tax reporting purposes. An IRS Form-1099 will be issued to each Winner in February 2024 for the actual value of the prize received.
6. GRAND PRIZE (4 Available): Each Grand Prize Winner will receive the following:
A. $25,000.00 cash prize (awarded in the form of a check);
B. One (1) AT&T 5G-enabled Samsung phone (as selected at the sole discretion of the Sponsor) with a minimum Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of $799.00;
C. One Dream in Black Capsule Collection. ARV: $350.00; and
D. Inclusion in a winner announcement on the AT&T Dream in Black website.
ARV of each Grand Prize: $26,149.00.
ALL FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL TAXES AND ANY OTHER COSTS AND EXPENSES ASSOCIATED WITH ACCEPTANCE AND/OR USE OF ANY PRIZE ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNER. Inclusion on the AT&T Dream in Black Website has no associated retail value. No substitutions or transfers of a prize, except at Sponsor’s discretion. If a Prize cannot be awarded or fulfilled due to circumstances beyond the control of the Sweepstakes Entities or Prize Providers, a substitute Prize of equal or greater retail value may be awarded. The ARV is subject to price fluctuations in the consumer marketplace based on, among other things, any gap in time between the date the ARV is estimated for purposes of these Official Rules and the date the prize is awarded. If the actual value of a prize is less than the ARV stated herein, the Winner will not be entitled to a check, cash or other form of payment for the difference. Non-cash prizes cannot be redeemed for cash. Prizes are provided “as is” with no warranty or guarantee, either express or implied. All prize details are at Sponsor’s discretion. Limit one (1) prize per Household.
7. GENERAL CONDITIONS/INDEMNIFICATION: By participating in this Contest and/or by accepting any prize, Entrants and Winners agree that Sponsor, Administrator, Juno Marketing, LLC, and their respective parents, subsidiaries and affiliated companies, units and divisions; and their advertising and promotional agencies and prize suppliers; each of their respective officers, directors, agents, representatives and employees; and each of these companies’ and individuals’ respective successors, representatives and assigns (collectively, the "Released Entities") shall not be liable for any and all actions, claims, including any third-party claims, injury, loss or damage arising in any manner, directly or indirectly, arising from or relating to this Contest, including entry and participation in this Contest, or the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any prize. By participating in the Contest and/or accepting any prize award, Entrants and Winners agree to fully indemnify each Released Entity from any and all such claims by third parties without limitation. Entrants and Winners authorize the Sponsor and its agents to use their name, voice, performance, image, likeness, biographical data, city and state of residence and entry materials in programming or promotional material, worldwide in perpetuity, or on a list of winners, if applicable, without further compensation unless prohibited by law. Sponsor is not obligated to use any of the above-mentioned information or materials but may do so and may edit such information or materials, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, without further obligation or compensation. The Released Entities shall not be liable for: (i) late, lost, delayed, stolen, misdirected, postage-due, incomplete, unreadable, inaccurate, garbled or unintelligible entries, communications or Essays, regardless of the method of transmission; (ii) telephone system, telephone or computer hardware, software or other technical or computer malfunctions, lost connections, disconnections, delays or transmission errors; (iii) data corruption, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to or alteration of entry or other materials; (iv) any injuries, losses or damages of any kind caused by your participation in this Contest or resulting from acceptance, possession, use or misuse of a prize; or (v) any printing, typographical, administrative, technological, human or other errors or problems, including any error or problems which may occur in the administration of the Contest, the processing or judging of Essays, or in any materials associated with the Contest. Released Entities disclaim any liability for damage to any phone or other electronic device resulting from participating in or accessing or downloading information in connection with this Contest. Should a virus, bug, computer or phone problem, unauthorized intervention, or any other causes beyond Sponsor's control, corrupt the administration, security, or proper play of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to modify, cancel, suspend, or terminate the Contest in its entirety or any affected portion thereof. In the event the Sponsor is prevented from awarding prizes or continuing with the Contest as contemplated herein by any event beyond its control, including but not limited to fire, flood, natural or man-made epidemic of health of other means, earthquake, explosion, labor dispute or strike, act of God or public enemy, satellite or equipment failure, riot or civil disturbance, terrorist threat or activity, war (declared or undeclared) or any federal state or local government law, order, or regulation, public health crisis (e.g. COVID, SARS, etc.), order of any court or jurisdiction, or other cause not reasonably within Sponsor’s control (each a “Force Majeure” event or occurrence), then subject to any governmental approval which may be required, Sponsor shall have the right to modify, suspend, cancel or terminate the Contest in its entirety or any affected portion thereof. If the Contest or a particular portion thereof is canceled or terminated before the Contest Period end date for any reason, Sponsor may (if possible) select the winner from all eligible, non-suspect entries received as of the date of the event giving rise to the termination using the winner determination process set forth above or as otherwise deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor. Inclusion in such process shall be each Entrant’s and Winner’s sole and exclusive remedy under such circumstances. Only the type and quantity of prizes described in these Official Rules will be awarded. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. Sponsor may prohibit you from participating in the Contest or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines you are attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception, or any other unfair playing practices of intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other participants or Sponsor representatives.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE CONTEST OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHALL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION FROM PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK REMEDIES AND DAMAGES (INCLUDING ATTORNEY FEES) TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.
9. ARBITRATION: Except where prohibited by law, as a condition of participating in this Contest, Entrants/Winners agree that (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, and not as a participant in any class action, and exclusively by final and binding arbitration under the rules of the American Arbitration Association and held at the AAA regional office nearest the Entrant/Winner; (2) the AAA shall govern the interpretation, enforcement and all proceedings at such arbitration; and (3) judgment upon such arbitration award may be entered in any court having jurisdiction. Under no circumstances will Entrants/Winners be permitted to obtain awards for, and Entrants/Winners hereby waive all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorneys' fees, other than each Entrant’s and Winner’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e., costs directly attributable to participating in this Contest), and Entrants/Winners further waive all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased.
10. GOVERNING LAW: All applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the Entrants/Winners and Released Entities in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with Texas law without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of laws.
11. SPONSOR: This Contest is sponsored by AT&T Services, Inc. 1025 Lenox Park Blvd NE, Atlanta, GA, 30319.
12. ADMINISTRATOR: This Contest is administered by Creative Zing Promotion Group, 2100 E Robinson Street, Orlando, FL 32803.
13. FOR WINNERS LIST and OFFICIAL RULES: All requests for a copy of the Official Rules and for the name of the Winners (first name and state) must be made by March 31, 2023. For the names of the Winners and/or Official Rule(s) send a self-addressed stamped return envelope to: Creative Zing – Black Future Maker Winners, 2100 E Robinson Street, Orlando, FL 32803. VT residents may omit postage on the self-addressed return envelope.